About ITS Standards
Testing ITS standards in the field is an important step in the life cycle of an ITS standard because it validates (i.e. builds confidence among designers and users) that the ITS standards can be successfully used under typical project conditions.
ITS standards testing seeks to answer key questions. Does the ITS standard meet the needs of deployers? Is the ITS standard written in such a way that leads to a single interpretation? Is the ITS standard complete and ready to be deployed? A successful test will build confidence in the standard and lead to wider deployment.
Testing standards is part of the iterative process of standards development. Results from standards testing, including issues encountered, lessons learned, and ideas for improvement, are fed back to standards developers for the next amendment of the standard. These lessons learned are also available to ITS system designers and integrators who are using the current version of the tested standard.
Learn More . . .
The following modules in the ITS Standards Training Module Series discuss concepts and practices related to ITS standards testing.
- Module 5 - INTRODUCTION TO ITS STANDARDS TESTING
- Module 9 - HOW TO WRITE A TEST PLAN
- Module 13 - OVERVIEW OF TEST DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS, TEST CASES, AND TEST PROCEDURES
- Module 17 - APPLYING YOUR TEST PLAN TO THE NTCIP 1203 v03 DMS STANDARD
- Module 18 - APPLYING YOUR TEST PLAN TO THE NTCIP 1204 v03 ESS STANDARD
- Module 30 - APPLYING YOUR TEST PLAN TO THE TMDD STANDARD
- Module 35 - APPLYING YOUR TEST PLAN TO THE NTCIP 1202 ASC STANDARD
- Module 36 - APPLYING YOUR TEST PLAN TO NTCIP 1205 STANDARD
- Module 41 - HOW TO DEVELOP TEST CASES FOR AN ITS STANDARDS-BASED TEST PLAN
- Module 46 - HOW TO DEVELOP TEST CASES FOR AN ITS STANDARDS-BASED TEST PLAN, PART 2
- Module 47 - HOW TO DEVELOP TEST PROCEDURES FOR ITS STANDARDS-BASED TEST PLAN
- Module 48 - HOW TO DEVELOP TEST PROCEDURES FOR ITS STANDARDS-BASED TEST PLAN, PART 2
- Module 49 - APPLYING YOUR TEST PLAN TO A TRANSPORTATION SENSOR SYSTEM (TSS) BASED ON THE NTCIP 1209 V02
- Module 50 - APPLYING YOUR TEST PLAN TO RAMP METER CONTROL (RMC) UNITS BASED ON THE NTCIP 1207 STANDARD V02